I haven’t successfully kept a prayer journal for a long time. Mind you, I pray and I see miraculous answers to prayer. But I’m not good at recording these answers in any sort of methodical way. And I want to.
I ran across an excellent article by Christian writer and speaker Crystal McDowell that talks about prayer journaling and growing closer to God. Below I’ve listed her 7 points; there is much more in the article. Check it out.
1. Begin with prayer for God’s guidance
2. Find a quiet place for reflection and meditation
3. Search for a scripture(s) that correspond with your prayer request and write it out at the top of the page
4. Think about what you can give thanks to God in your prayer request
5. Write out your prayer requests with specificity
6. Praise God for hearing and answering your request in accordance with His will
7. Remember to go back and write in your journal how God answered in His perfect timing
“Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.” (Deuteronomy 4:9)